Having a whiter teeth has definitely dominated today’s oral trend. From whitening toothpaste to bleaching, almost everyone is desperate to lighten their set of teeth. Indeed, a whiter teeth gives a person a much cleaner and beautiful look. Before looking into how we can whiten the teeth, let us first check out what causes yellow teeth.
Causes of Yellow Teeth
- Sour Candies
- Excessive Fluoride
- Dry Mouth
- Thin enamel
Genetically, people may have teeth that are quite leaning towards the yellow shade. However, if this is not the case, yellow teeth may be caused by the thinning of enamel. Enamel may naturally wear thin as people age but there are also some food and drinks that hasten the thinning of enamel. Certain acidic food and beverages such as sodas and candies are some examples of these. Intake of antibiotics and fluoride may also be a contributor of yellow teeth. In other cases, there may also be diseases that give teeth a yellowish shade.
Prevention of Yellow Teeth
By simply avoiding cigarettes, tea, coffee and soda, yellow teeth may be avoided. Drinking these beverages through the use of a straw may also help in reducing the acidic effect. Of course, brushing the teeth and flossing will also play a big role in generally cleaning the healthy teeth.
Now that we have figured out the culprits of yellow teeth, let us then look into the different tips proven to have whitened teeth. These tips range from home remedies, commercial products and dental procedures.
Teeth Whitening Tips
- Try oil pulling. One of the most effective home remedy to whiten the teeth is oil pulling, an ancient Indian method for detoxification. Today, there has been so much proof of oil pulling helping teeth becoming lighter. Simply swish coconut oil for 15-20 minutes in the morning in an empty stomach. You will definitely see significant results after a few days to a month or so.
- Use baking soda. Perhaps, you might have also heard of this a couple of times. Baking soda has also made a reputation in the teeth whitening world. Mostly, people create a paste of lemon juice and baking soda which they use to brush their teeth.
- Visit a dentist. Whether for a routine cleaning or a customized teeth whitening solution, it is best to seek professional help. Quality dentists such as those from www.bcsofttouchdental.com may use whitening solutions such as hydrogen-peroxide gel, whitening trays, etc. With the dentist, you will have many options for teeth whitening procedures; if you want something fast or if you are able to wait for a couple of weeks before the effect, the dentists have those options for you.
- Use whitening strips. This is by far the most convenient and least messy way to whiten the teeth. However, the drawback is that these strips do not really curve and so, there may be spots that cannot be whitened.
- Whitening sticks may also be another solution for a temporarily whiter teeth that involves less effort and money.